May 5, 2020•
by Alyssa Rimmer
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
This amazing vegan tomato soup is the only recipe you”ll need! It’s creamy, flavorful, and also super simple to make. Serve with vegan grilled cheese or top with croutons!
When we get out of quarantine I hope that we look back on this time and realize how creative it has forced us to be in the kitchen. How it’s helped us look at simple ingredients that we always have on hand and make something delicious.
Since we’re trying to limit our runs to the store, I’ve definitely been experimenting a lot more with pantry items. And while some things have been a complete flop, I’ve had a few winners as well. This vegan tomato soup is one of them!
This soup is delicious. Absolutely scrumptious. It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, and yet it’s SO easy to make. It only has 9 ingredients and comes together in under 30 minutes. And it’s absolutely the perfect companion to vegan grilled cheese.
Ingredients for Vegan Tomato Soup
What I think you’re going to be most excited about with this recipe is the ingredient list. This list is made up of things that most of us almost always have on hand. Simple, pantry staples. And if you don’t have them, they’re easy to find!
Here’s what we’ll be using to make this soup:
- Olive oil: just for sauteing and getting some flavor and color to the start of the soup
- Onion: as a way to build flavor
- Garlic: again, used to add flavor and complexity
- Carrot: just there to add a bit of sweetness and help cut the acidity of the tomatoes
- Diced tomatoes: I used two 28oz cans of traditional diced tomatoes, but feel free to use fire-roasted, garlic, tomato basil, etc.
- Veggie broth: you could also use chicken broth if you wanted
- Hummus: the secret ingredient at the end that adds such a great flavor and creaminess!
And then we just have a few simple seasonings to finish everything off.
How to Make Tomato Soup
Our vegan tomato soup is also a cinch to make. It should take you no more than 25 minutes to make, but could also be cooked longer if you want it to build even more flavor. Feel like making this in the slow cooker? That would also totally work!
First, you’ll saute the onion, garlic, and carrot in the oil. Sauteing these veggies ahead of time helps draw out the flavor, adds a tiny char flavor, and really helps round out the dish.
Add your tomatoes and broth and let it simmer. This is where you have some flexibility. I’d say at a minimum, I recommend cooking it for 15 minutes. But again, feel free to go longer if you want to build even more flavor.
Blend it up! I used the large jar of Vitamix a3500 and just tossed the hummus in right before blending. It was so smooth and creamy – just perfection!
Other Ways to Make This Soup
As I mentioned, I think there are a few other ways you could make this soup if this method doesn’t work. I want to preface this by saying I’ve only tested it this way, so I can’t be 100% sure of the results, but I’m pretty sure it works.
- Slow Cooker: If you want to make this in your slow cooker, add all the ingredients in (minus the hummus) and cook for at least 4 – 6 hours. Once you’re ready to blend, add in the hummus and blend it up!
- Instant Pot: I do also think you could pretty easily make this in the Instant Pot. Since everything is mostly cooked, I honestly think it would cook in about 5 minutes and then just let it NPR for about 10. And again, blend it up with the hummus after.
How to Make Creamy Soup without a Blender
No Blender? No Problem!
You can definitely still get a creamy texture with an immersion blender. I would recommend stirring the hummus into the pot right before you’re ready to blend. Then just use your immersion blender to whiz it up until it’s smooth.
If you don’t have either of those options, you could try a food processor, but I don’t love the consistency, nor do I like adding hot liquids into my food processor (I don’t feel like it’s meant for that).
And if you don’t have any of those options, feel free to just enjoy your soup chunky 🙂
The Ultimate Dairy-Free Tomato Soup
Think tomato soup needs to have cream? Think again!
This creamy tomato soup is absolutely perfect. We’ve made it three times already and think it can stand up to any tomato soup you put next to it. The flavors are complex, the texture is perfectly smooth, and that addition of hummus gives it a kind of cream-based feel without having any cream.
Our favorite way to serve this soup:
- Topped with homemade croutons with a side salad
- Topped with freshly chopped basil and vegan grilled cheese (coming soon!)
But truthfully, there’s no wrong way to enjoy tomato soup. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do and I can’t wait to see your recreations!
More Creamy Vegan Soup Recipes to try:
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
This amazing vegan tomato soup is the only recipe you’ll need! It’s creamy, flavorful, and also super simple to make. Serve with a vegan grilled cheese or top with croutons!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 an onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot , chopped (about 1 cup)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (optional)
- 2 (28 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth (+ more if needed)
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions start to soften about 3 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning if desired.
Add the tomatoes and broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
Once cooked, transfer the soup to a blender and add the hummus.
Blend on high until smooth and creamy. If the soup is too thick, blend in a bit more broth.
Serve hot and top with desired toppings!
* nutritional values don’t include toppings
Serving: 2.5cups | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1117mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3172IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 3mg